2 a culture containing yeast or bacteria that is used to start the process of fermentation or souring in making butter or cheese or dough; "to make sourdough you need a starter"
3 a contestant who is in the game at the beginning
4 the official who signals the beginning of a race or competition [syn: dispatcher]
5 any new participant in some activity [syn: newcomer, fledgling, fledgeling, neophyte, freshman, newbie, entrant]
6 food or drink to stimulate the appetite (usually served before a meal or as the first course) [syn: appetizer, appetiser]
7 a hand tool consisting of a rotating shaft with parallel handle [syn: crank]
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)tə(r)
- Someone who starts something.
- Something that starts something.
- The first course of a meal, consisting of a small, usually savoury, dish.
- A player in the starting lineup
electric motor that starts an internal-combustion engine
Starter may refer to:
- Automobile self starter, or motor starters, used to start large electrical motors
- Fluorescent lamp Starter, used to jump start fluorescent lights since they require a charge in order to turn on (Refer to section 2.3)
- Bread starter or "sponge", a fermented mixture used in baking sourdough
- Fermentation starter
- Starter pack, a trading card games deck containing enough cards to play a full game self-sufficiently
- Starter Clothing Line, a clothing brand that was popular in the 1990s, i.e. Starter jackets
- Starting lineup in sports
- A starting pitcher in baseball.
Starter may also refer to:
starter in German: Starter
starter in Japanese: スターター
starter in Dutch: Starter
starter in Polish: Starter